SharePoint Online, the cloud-based version of SharePoint, is now available to colleagues across the University. This is part of the Nexus365 suite of applications and replaces the current SharePoint on-premise.
These pages are in the process of being moved to the IT Help website, so please bear with us if navigation is less smooth than normal.
Moving to SharePoint Online
SharePoint on-premise will not be switched off until April 2023, however, we strongly encourage you to move your content to SharePoint Online well before this deadline. During 2021 there will be additional resource in the Nexus team to provide advice about moving to SharePoint Online.
The content of SharePoint on-premise sites cannot be automatically moved over to SharePoint Online. Setting up new SharePoint Online sites and moving content over will be the responsibility of Site Owners and administrators.
Roles in SharePoint Online
There will be two top-level roles in SharePoint Online:
- Business Owner – a non-technical, senior manager who is accountable for the content in SharePoint Online for their part of the University, and responsible for appointing an SNA
- Site Network Administrator (SNA) – a technical role that replaces the Site Collection Administrator (SCA) in SharePoint on-premise, who will manage and provide support for SharePoint Online in their part of the University
Setting up a presence in SharePoint Online
Departments, colleges and other parts of the University first need to go through an onboarding process with the Nexus team, for which you will need to provide the name of your unit and the name of your Business Owner and at least one Site Network Administrator (SNA).
Getting ready for SharePoint Online
Once your unit has onboarded, you can request new SharePoint Online sites, but first please consider the following:
- Review your current SharePoint on-premise site, if you have one, and determine what content needs to be moved and what can be deleted or archived, given retention and GDPR considerations
- Consider whether Microsoft Teams or OneDrive might be more suitable for some site content
- Contact your new SharePoint Online SNA before requesting a site to discuss how your site will fit into your unit’s new network
Get SharePoint Online